Unaccompanied Household Goods

Unaccompanied Household Goods

Welcome to our “Customs With Katy!” blog feature, where we focus on customs-related topics, brought to you by none other than Phillips’ very own Move Coordinator, Katy Duncan! If you are moving (and are relocating unaccompanied household goods) into the USA, ensure that you note the following requirements:


US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) mandates that any party relocating unaccompanied household goods into the USA is required to complete a 3299 Form. It is important to note that as part of your 3299 submission the CBP requires a detailed list of the goods being shipped. This is where your professional mover comes into play as your mover will create a detailed “descriptive inventory” of your goods and that same list can be given to CBP to satisfy the 3299. Here is the direct text from US CBP:

“If you are not traveling with your goods, the CBP Form 3299 “Declaration For Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles,” must be completed.

Note that the statement of goods being “household effect” is not enough information. The complete inventory of imported goods will be treated as the packing list and must be provided to CBP upon request.”


To review: For additional details on relocating unaccompanied household goods, refer to this article, or don’t hesitate to contact Phillips Moving at 416-661-2797. For additional customs tips, we also recommend that you routinely check our bi-weekly news updates.

As always, until next time, stay safe and stay customs compliant!


  • Date Format: MM slash DD slash YYYY